Dal Khichadi / Khichdi
This is one dish simple meal when you want to skip full meal. This can also be a substitute for Rice and Dal (Split Pigeon Peas) in full meal. There are different recipes for Dal Khichadi but I use this easy recipe that makes very tasty restaurant like khichadi.
Rice 1 cup
Toovar Dal (Split Pigeon Peas) 1 cup
Turmeric Powder ¼ teaspoon
Asafoetida (Hing) ½ teaspoon
Ghee (Clarified Butter) 1 tablespoon
Cinnamon (Dalchini)1 inch stick
Black Pepper 7-8
Red chillies 2-3
Cumin Seeds (Jeera) ½ teaspoon
Green Chillies 2
Curry leaves 7-8
Finely chopped onion ½ cup
Finely chopped tomato ½ cup
Finely chopped garlic 1 tablespoon
Chilly powder ½ teaspoon
Salt to taste
Chopped coriander 1.5 teaspoon
1. Wash and drain Rice
2. Wash and drain Toovar Dal
3. Add ¼ teaspoon of hing and a pinch of haldi to Toovar dal, add 2.5 cups of water to Toovar Dal. Add 2 cups of water to rice and Pressure cook Dal and rice separately.
4. In a heavy bottom pan heat ½ tablespoon of ghee.
5. Add Jeera, hing, haldi, cloves, dalchini, black pepper, curry leaves, slit green chillies, ½ teaspoon of garlic and chopped onion. Sauté on low flame for 2-3 minutes.
6. Add chopped tomatoes. Sauté on low flame for 2-3 minutes.
7. Add cooked rice and dal. Add salt, chilly powder and mix well. Add water to adjust consistency.
8. Cook on medium flame for 4-5 minutes. Add coriander and mix.
9. In a ladle, heat ½ tablespoon of ghee. Add remaining garlic and slit red chillies. When garlic is light brown, pour this tempering on Khichadi.
10. Serve this delicious Dal Khichadi hot with pure ghee and papad.