Sugarfree Poha Laadoo (Flattened Rice Laddus)
This is my own recipe that gives a delicious twist to a standard Laddu recipe. Poha laddus are very easy to make. It does not require long hours of roasting and no problematic Chasni (Sugar Syrup) preparation. Addition of honey not only enhances the taste but also reduces the Ghee (Clarified Butter) requirement for Laddus. Try this recipe and let me know how you find it.
Jada Poha / Thick flattened rice 2 cups
Grated dry coconut 1 cup
Crushed Jaggery ¾ cups
Honey 2 tablespoon
Ghee (clarified Butter) 2 tablespoon
Eliachy (Cardamom) Powder ½ teaspoon
1. Dry roast Poha till they are light brown in colour. Transfer to a plate and leave to cool
2. Dry roast grated dry coconut till light brown. Transfer to another plate and leave to cool
3. Dry roast almonds and allow to cool
4. Using a grinder, grind Almonds into little coarse powder. Transfer to a bowl
5. Grind dry coconut and add to the bowl
6. Grind Poha into a coarse powder; add jaggery to grinder and grind together.
7. Add almonds powder and coconut powder to grinder and grind together for 1-2 miutes
8. Transfer the mixture to a bowl
9. Add honey and mix.
10. Add ghee and mix
11. Add cardamom powder and mix.
12. Roll Laddus of desired size.
13. Delicious, healthy Poha Laddus are ready.
14. These Laddus can be stored at room temperature for 3 weeks.