Rawa Dhokla – Semolina Dhokla (No Fermentation Required)
Dhokla is a popular snack from Gujarat. There are different types of Dhokla. This is instant Dhokla using Rawa (Semolina). No fermentation is required. Very easy and quick recipe that requires very few ingredients and makes soft, fluffy and tasty Dhokla.
Barik Rava (Semolina fine) 1 cup
Buttermilk 1 cup
Chilly Ginger paste ½ teaspoon
Salt to taste
Fruit Salt 1 sachet (or 1 teaspoon)
Oil 1 tablespoon
For Tempering / Tadka
Oil 1 tablespoon
Mustard Seeds ½ teaspoon
Cumin Seeds ½ teaspoon
Asafoetida (Hing) a pinch
White Sesame Seeds (Til) 1 teaspoon
Curry leaves 8-10
1. In a bowl, add Rawa, Buttermilk, Chilly Ginger Paste and Salt and mix it. Consistency should be like Idli batter / Thicker than Pan Cake batter. Add water if required.
2. Leave the batter to rest for 5 minutes. If you rest the batter for longer, then Dhokla will not be fluffy.
3. Grease Dhokla plates with oil.
4. Put water in Dhokla steamer and heat water on high flame.
5. Add Fruit Salt to the batter, add a spoonful of water and mix it in one direction. Do not over-mix.
6. Quickly Pour the batter on greased plate and spread it evenly.
7. Place the plate in hot Dhokla steamer and steam for 20-25 minutes
8. When Dhokla is cool, cut it into pieces using a knife.
9. In a ladle, heat oil for Tempering.
10. Add Mustard seeds, wait till splutter; Add cumin seeds, wait till splutter; add Asafoetida.
11. Add While sesame seeds and cover the ladle. When splutter stops, switch off the gas and add curry leaves.
11. Pour tempering on Dhokla and enjoy this delicious Dhokla with your choice of chutney / sauce.
After mixing in Fruit salt, if there is delay in placing the Dhokla plates in hot steamer, Dhokla will not be fluffy and soft.