Rice Sevai with Sweet Coconut Milk
This is a traditional recipe from Southern Konkan. These are Rice Flour Vermicelli served with Sweet coconut milk (It’s called Ras) . This is served as a part of main course. It’s a bit lengthy process but the results are awesome. It’s very delicious – worth all the hard work that you put in to cook this.
Rice Flour (Fine) 1+ ¼ cups
White Butter 2 teaspoons
Oil 1 teaspoon
Water 1 cup
Fresh scraped Coconut 1 cup
Jaggery Crushed 1/3 cup
Cardamom Powder ¼ teaspoon
Salt 1 teaspoon
To Prepare Sevai
1. Heat 1 cup of water in a pan on medium flame.
2. Add butter (preferable home made ; if not available use any butter) and half teaspoon salt.
3. On boiling, turn to low flame and add rice flour, mix well.
4. Turn off the flame and cover and let it stand for 15 minutes.
5. Knead the dough into medium consistency after adding a few drops of oil (use water if needed).
6. Make 4 inch by 1½ inch oblong balls.
7. Boil 4 liters water in a large pan on medium flame.
8. Drop the dough balls into the water, keep boiling. Rice balls will sink in the water.
9. Turn the flame to low when the dough balls start floating. Now rice balls are cooked.
10. Put each dough ball in vermicelli maker and press out the “sevai”; dough balls are hot so use a napkin to hold the vermicelli maker if you are using a metal vermicelli maker
11. You need to make sevai while the dough balls are hot. Keep boiling water on low flame and keep making sevai after taking out a dough ball at a time.
To Prepare Sweet Coconut Milk
1. Grind scraped fresh coconut in a grinder with little water.
2. Squeeze the coconut milk.
3. Add jaggery, stir it till it dissolves in the coconut milk.
4. Add ½ teaspoon salt and Cardamom powder. Mix well. Sweet coconut milk is ready.
Serve Sevai with Sweet Coconut Milk. While eating, soak sevai in coconut Milk for a few minutes and eat them together. Enjoy this delicacy from Kokan.
In hot and humid weather like Mumbai, Coconut Milk should be consumed within 3 to 4 hours of making.