Bhopalyachi Dashami (Sweet Roti made using Red Pumpkin / Butternut Squash)
Dashami is sweet Roti (Indian Bread). This is an easy recipe that makes delicious and nutritious sweet layered Rotis using Red Pumpkin. Try this out in case you never had it earlier.
Red Pumpkin (Kaddu / Butternut Squash) ¼ kg
Crushed Jaggery / Jaggery Powder 2-3 tablespoon
White Sesame Seeds 1 tablespoon
Wheat Flour 2-3 cups
Cinnamon Powder (Dalchini) ¼ teaspoon
Cardamom Powder (Eliachy) ¼ teaspoon
Oil 1 teaspoon
Salt to taste
Ghee (Clarified Butter) while rolling Dashami and for roasting
1. Peel and grate red pumpkin
2. In a pan, heat ½ teaspoon oil and add grated pumpkin
3. Cook covered on low flame for 5 minutes. Leave it to cool
4. Add Jaggery, sesame seeds, Cardamom, Cinnamon, salt to grated pumpkin. Mix it together. Add wheat flour and bind a stiff consistency dough. Do not add water.
5. Add ½ teaspoon oil and bind the dough.
6. Take a lemon size dough ball. And roll a round Puri (small circular shape about 3 inch diameter).
7. Apply ghee, sprinkle wheat flour and fold it 4 times to make a small square.
8. Roll the square into a thick roti.
9. Roast it in hot Griddle on medium flame on both sides. Apple a few drops on ghee on both sides while roasting.
10. Delicious and Nutritious Pumpkin Dashami is ready. Serve hot with home made butter / ghee.