Aamras – Konkan Style (Mango Pulp)
Most of us love Aamras. Generally people use blender to make Aamras and add Cardamom powder for flavour. But Konkan style Aamras is different.
1. We do not use Blender to make Aamras. Use the traditional way to squeeze the juice. This way the texture of Aamras is little uneven; it’s not like smooth paste.
2. We do not add Cardamom powder, instead we add roughly crushed Black Pepper. Surprised to see Black Pepper added to a sweet? But try this out; it tastes awesome. A little tinge of spicy black pepper enhances the taste of Aamras.
3. We serve Aamras with generous helping of Home made Ghee (clarified butter).
It is said that Black Pepper and Pure Ghee not only enhance the taste of Aamras but helps in digestion. So enjoy this heavenly sweet as much as you like.
Simple recipe for Aamras:
1. Wash and Squeeze Mangoes of your choice preferably the ones that do not have fibre (strings) . I use Alphonso Mangoes as we like the taste and of course the vibrant orange colour. You can use any type that you like. Sometimes Alphonso and Payari is mixed together for making Aamras.
2. Break the lumps using your fingers. Do not use Blender.
3. Add sugar as per taste. Add a pinch of salt. Mix together.
4. Add freshly crushed black pepper (roughly crushed; do not make fine powder) as per taste (8-10 black peppercorns for Aamras of 6-7 medium size Alphonso Mangoes). Mix.
5. While serving add home made Ghee (clarified butter) – ½ to 1 teaspoon (or as per your choice) in a bowl of Aamras. Serve with Roti / Chapati. Or one can have Aamras itself as a dessert.