Arbi (Alkudi / अळकुडी) Kabab (Taro / Colocasia Root Kabab)
Arbi / Taro Roots are very nutritious and tasty. Generally we steam them along with Kokum and Salt and have them as a snack. Some people also make a Subji of these roots. I had made Pattice / Croquette using Taro roots. This time I made Kabab using Taro roots. I added Poha / Flattened rice to reduce the stickiness of Taro roots. These Kababs were very tasty and the texture was perfect – not too soft; not too hard. Another advantage of adding Poha / Flattened rice is that the dough does not become soggy even after a few hours as Poha absorbs all the moisture.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
Alkudi / Arbi/ Taro roots ¼ kg
Jada Poha / Thick Flattened Rice 1 cup
Sabudana / Tapoica flour 2 tablespoon
Roasted Peanut powder 1 tablespoon
Ginger Paste ½ teaspoon
Garam Masala ½ teaspoon
Carom Seeds / Ajwain ½ teaspoon
Sesame Seeds ½ teaspoon
Chilly Paste ½ teaspoon
Chilly Powder ½ teaspoon
Chopped coriander 2 teaspoon
Chopped Cashew Nuts 1 teaspoon
Salt to taste
Kokum 3-4 / Tamarind pulp ½ teaspoon
Oil for shallow fry
Fine Semolina + Rice Flour
1. Wash and pressure cook Arbi along with kokum / tamarind and salt.
2. Upon cooling peel and grate Arbi. Apply little oil on the grater before grating to avoid Arbi sticking to grater.
3. Wash Poha, drain water. Leave for 5 minutes.
4. Mix all ingredients together. Make Kabab of desired shape. If mixture is too soggy, add some more soaked Poha. If it’s too dry, apply some water and knead it.
5. Pan fry using oil after rolling in Rawa + Rice flour mixture.
6. Serve hot with sauce or chutney.