Godachi Bhakari – Jaggery Chilla (Jaggery Pan Cake)
This is a Goan breakfast dish. “God” in Konkani means Jaggery. Wheat flour added with little semolina is mixed with Jaggery to make this delicious sweet Bhakari. This is a quick and healthy dish.
Wheat Flour 1 cup
Fine Semolina 2 tablespoon
Crushed Jaggery 1 to 2 tablespoons (adjust as per taste)
Crushed Green Chilly 1 teaspoon
Tamarind dry pulp ½ teaspoon or buttermilk 2 tablespoon
Turmeric Powder (Haldi) ¼ teaspoon
Fresh Scraped Coconut 1 tablespoon
Chopped Coriander ½ tablespoon
Sesame Seeds 1 tablespoon Or Cumin Seeds ½ teaspoon
Salt to taste
Oil / Ghee (Clarified Butter) 1 tablespoon
1. Mix all ingredients except oil/ghee in a bowl.
2. Add water and mix to get a consistency like Idli batter (Pan Cake Batter).
3. Heat a flat non stick Griddle. Sprinkle little water on Griddle to reduce the temperature.
4. Put 2 big spoonful of batter on the Griddle, take little water in the hand and spread the dough evenly by using the fingers.
5. Cover it with a lid and cook on medium flame.
6. After 2-3 minutes, put a few drops of oil/ghee on the Bhakari and flip it over.
7. Cook both sides to get light brown colour. Serve hot with Ghee / Home Made Butter. This delicious Bhakari tastes without any accompaniment also.
1. Left over Rotis (Indian Bread) can be added to this Bhakari after making a coarse powder in a grinder. Reduce Wheat Flour accordingly. However, do not use crushed Rotis only without wheat flour. Have at least ¼ measure of wheat flour for binding.