Ratalyacha (Sweet Potato) Kees (Serves 4)
Quick, Healthy and tasty Snack/ breakfast dish. One can also eat this for Upwas (Fasting day). Sweet Potato is very nutritious, has good amount of Vitamin A, Potassium and fiber. Those who generally don’t like sweet potato will also like this recipe.
Sweet potato ½ kilogram
Roasted Peanut coarse powder 1 tablespoon or more if you like
Green Chilly paste 1 teaspoon
Fresh Scraped Coconut 1 teaspoon
Coriander leaves chopped 1 teaspoon
Lemon juice ½ teaspoon
Sugar ½ teaspoon
Pure Ghee / Clarified Butter) 2 teaspoons
Cumin Seeds ¼ teaspoon
Salt to taste
1. Wash sweet potatoes and grate them along with the skin.
2. In a pan heat 1 teaspoon of pure ghee / clarified butter on medium flame.
3. Add cumin seeds, wait till sputters.
4. Add green chilly paste.
5. Add grated sweet potatoes and cover the pan.
6. Cook, on low flame, for 5 – 6 minutes (till sweet potatoes are cooked), stirring well every 2 minutes. Sometimes sweet potatoes cook much faster ; so be watchful.
7. Add salt, sugar, lemon juice, scraped coconut, peanut powder and chopped coriander
8. Mix well, add 1 teaspoon pure ghee / clarified butter while mixing.
1. Make the kees soon after grating sweet potatoes. If you keep it for a while, it will turn black.
2. Other option is you dip grated sweet potato in water and squeeze water before using it. But sometimes the kees may become soggy and sticky. It depends on the type of sweet potatoes. So best is to make it immediately after grating.