Bread Buns / Stuffed Buns
The taste of home cooked buns is unbeatable. There are different recipes of bread buns. I’ve tried this recipe a few times and buns have come out quite well. The most important thing is getting soft and fluffy buns is the Yeast. My experience with yeast is that the first time you use it after opening the new pack, results are awesome. Second time results are okay. Third time onwards, it’s your luck if the yeast works the way you want it to work. This is after storing the yeast pack in air tight container in refrigerator. So be watchful for yeast. Once the dough did not rise as expected, so instead of baking buns, I made Paranthas using that dough. Paranthas were nice and soft. Anyway, try this recipe when you are sure about the quality of yeast.
I also tried making Stuffed Buns by using a filling of Potato Vada. So it was an healthy substitute for famous Vada Pav. You can use any other stuffing of your choice. So you have an option to bake plain buns or stuffed buns.
Maida/ All Purpose Flour 2 cups
Milk ¾ cups + 1.5 tablespoon
Sugar 1 tablespoon
Yeast 2 teaspoon
Salt ½ teaspoon
Butter / ghee 4 teaspoon
Milk powder 1.5 teaspoon
Milk + butter for brushing
Potatoes 6-7 medium size
Ginger Garlic Chillies Paste 1 tablespoon
Curry leaves 10
Turmeric Powder ¼ to ½ teaspoon
Mango Powder ¼ teaspoon
Oil 1 teaspoon
Salt to taste
1. Warm 2 tablespoon of milk. Add sugar and yeast. Mix and keep for 10 min.
2. Yeast should become frothy. If it does not, then it is not right quality yeast. Buy a new pack of yeast and repeat step 1.
3. Mix Maida, salt, milk powder on the kitchen platform
4. Make a well and add yeast mixture. Keep adding warm milk and knead a soft dough.
5. Add butter and knead for 15 minutes using your palm. This is an important step in this recipe.
6. Transfer the dough in a container. Apply little butter on top and Keep the dough covered for 1 hour.
7. The dough should rise 2 to 3 times. If it does not keep it covered for 30 minutes. Still if it does not rise, you should not proceed with baking buns. Make Paranthas using this dough.
8. Using 1 tablespoon Maida, punch the dough. Knead for 2-3 minutes.
If you are making plain buns continue with following steps. For stuffed buns, follow the steps for “To Make Filling”.
9. Make dough balls of desired size / shape and arrange in a greased baking tray. Keep some distance between dough balls.
10. Cover with damp cloth for 45 minutes. Dough balls will rise again.
11. Brush with Milk
12. Bake in a preheated oven on 200 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Buns should be light brown on top.
13. Brush with butter. Allow to cool. Enjoy these soft and fluffy buns.
To Make Filling
1. Boil Potatoes (Preferably in microwave as they don’t become moist; if you don’t have microwave use any other method).
2. Peel Potatoes and mash them (or cut into small pieces).
3. In a Pan, heat oil. Add Ginger,Garlic, Chillies Paste. Sauté for 3 minutes. Add curry leaves (cut them into small pieces before adding them; so that they can be eaten easily).
4. Add Turmeric powder, Mix.
5. Add Mashed / chopped potatoes, Salt and Mango Powder. Mix well.
6. Stuffing is ready.
To Make Stuffed Buns
1. Make dough balls of desired size / shape, Make a small bowl of the dough, place a small filling ball in the dough bowl, cover the filling with dough and seal it properly. Arrange these filled dough balls in a greased baking tray. Keep some distance between dough balls.
2. Cover with damp cloth for 45 minutes. Dough balls will rise again.
3. Brush with Milk
4. Bake in a preheated oven on 200 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Buns should be light brown on top.
5. Brush with butter. Allow to cool. Enjoy these soft and fluffy Stuffed buns.