Potato Rice Pan Cake
This is a savory dish that you can eat for breakfast or as a meal. It’s an easy one that makes yummy pan cakes.
Ingredients (to make 7-8 pan cakes sufficient for 4 people; These pan cakes are very filling; generally one person with average appetite can’t eat more than 2)
Medium Potatoes 5
Maida (All purpose flour) 4-5 tablespoons (or use Maida and Wheat flour 2-3 tablespoon each)
Cooked Rice 1 cup
Milk 1 cup
Cumin Seeds (Jeera) 1 teaspoon
Ghee (Clarified butter) for greasing
Green Chilly Paste ½ teaspoon
Salt to taste
For spreading on the pan cake – Boiled potato slices and chutney; I made Garlic coriander chutney; you can make any that you like)
Medium potatoes Boiled 3
Black Salt to sprinkle on potatoes
Fresh Scraped Coconut 2 tablespoons
Split Roasted Chana Dal (Dalia / Roasted Bengal Gram) ¼ cup
Chopped Coriander leaves 2 tablespoon
Green Chillies 5
Garlic 4-5 cloves
Sugar ½ teaspoon
Tamarind (Chinch) pulp ½ teaspoon or Curd 1 tablespoon
Salt to taste
1. For pan cake batter – In a pan mix grated (along with peel) potatoes, maida (and wheat flour), rice, salt , cumin seeds, chilly paste. Add milk to prepare a thick batter.
2. Wait for 20 minutes, it should have consistency of idli (pan cake) batter, add milk if required.
3. Peel and slice the boiled potatoes.
4. In a grinder, grind chutney using the mentioned ingredients. Chutney should be thick as we are going to use it to spread on pan cakes. Make the chutney little pungent (Tikha) than what you generally make.
5. Heat a non-stick griddle on low flame.
6. Sprinkle some water to reduce the temperature of griddle. Spread one large serving spoon of batter on the griddle into a round pan cake. Spread it as thin as possible. Cook covered till it’s light brown.
7. Use ghee for greasing, Flip the pan cake and cook the other side without covering it.
8. Once both the sides are cooked, keep the darker side facing the griddle and spread chutney on ½ of the pan cake in a semicircular fashion. See photos attached.
9. Arrange slices of boiled potatoes on the other half. Sprinkle a pinch of black salt on potatoes.
10. Fold the pan cake such that the chutney part comes on the top of potato slices part. See photo attached.
11. Cut it into triangles using pizza cutter or a knife and serve hot with chutney and sauce.
1. You can use hot and sweet mango chutney (Chhunda) instead of coriander chutney. That also tastes good.
2. If you keep the mixture for long, the surface will turn brownish due to potato starch. Just mix the mixture with a spoon and it will be good to use. But don’t store it too long.