Mangalore Buns (Banana Puri) – Fried Indian Bread with Banana
These Buns are specialty of Mangalore from Karnataka. We tasted these Buns at a homestay in Dandeli. They were super delicious. Although the name is Buns these are mild sweet fried Puris (Indian Bread). Ripe / Over-ripe bananas are added to the dough and the dough is fermented. I have used Wheat Flour but you can use Maida (All purpose flour) or a combination of both. You can have these Buns warm or cold. Both taste delicious.
Ripe / Over-ripe Banana 2 medium size
Sugar 4 tablespoon
Cumin Powder ½ teaspoon
Wheat Flour 1.5 cups
Curd 1 tablespoon (you may need little more)
Baking Soda 2 pinch
Salt a pinch (optional)
Pure Ghee (clarified butter) 1 teaspoon
Oil / Ghee (clarified butter) for frying
1. In a bowl, mix chopped Banana, Sugar, cumin powder and salt.
2. With the help of a fork, mash banana and mix ingredients together. Ripe / Over-ripe Bananas with mash easily.
3. Add Wheat flour, 1 tablespoon curd, baking soda and ghee. Bind together into soft consistency dough. If the dough is hard/ dry, add little curd. If it’s too soft, add some wheat flour. DO NOT add any water.
4. Apply little oil/ ghee to your palms. Knead the dough and keep it covered for 8 hours.
5. After 8 hours, knead the dough lightly and make small lemon size dough balls.
6. Roll the dough balls into little thick Puris. Use wheat flour for dusting if required.
7. Heat Oil / Ghee for frying. Gently slide the Puri into hot oil / ghee. Fry on medium flame. Puri will puff nicely. Fry both sides.
8. Take Puris out on a kitchen tissue.
9. Serve these delicious Buns warm or cold; with Chutney / Pure Ghee. Both taste nice.