Kairicha Kayras – Raw Mango Sweet n Sour Pickle
Kayras (कायरस ) is Maharashtrian sweet and sour pickle. It is made using different ingredients like Kairi (Raw Mango), Guava, Cucumber etc. For sweetness, Jaggery is used and for sourness, tamarind. For Raw Mango Kayras, we don’t need tamarind. Raw Mango Kayras is very tasty. The recipe is very easy and needs very few ingredients.
Raw Mango pieces 1.5 cups
Crushed Jaggery 1.5 cups
Red Chillies 2
Red chilly Powder ½ teaspoon
Oil 1 tablespoon
Mustard seeds ¼ teaspoon
Turmeric Powder ¼ teaspoon
Fenugreek seeds 8-10
Asafoetida 1/8 teaspoon
Salt to taste
1. Wash and peel Raw Mango. Chop into medium size pieces.
2. In a pan, heat oil. Add mustard seeds. Wait till splutter. Add turmeric powder, Asafoetida, Fenugreek seeds and slit red chillies.
3. Add Raw mango pieces. Mix.
4. Cook covered on low flame till mango pieces are little soft.
5. Add water just enough to cover mango pieces. Bring to boil.
6. Add Crushed Jaggery, Chilly powder and Salt.
7. Cook till Mango is soft and Jaggery melts. If you want more juice, add more water. Kayras will thicken upon cooling, Adjust the taste by adding more Jaggery if required. Amount of Jaggery depends on the sourness of mangoes.
8. Leave it to cool and store in refrigerator.
9. You can serve Kayras with Roti / Chapati / Thepla / Paratha.
10. Kayras will last for a week in refrigerator.