Crunchy Nachani Laadoo (Crunchy Finger Millet Laddu)
Nachani (Ragi / Finger Millet) is very nutritious but Nachani Laddus are not as popular as Besan Laddu. Try these Nachani Laddus. They taste delicious. I’ve added fried Poha (Flattened Rice) to it. That enhances the taste and it makes the laddus Crunchy.
Nachani Flour (Ragi / Finger Millet Flour) 4 cups
Grated Dry Coconut 1 cup
Thick Poha (Thick Flattened Rice) 1 cup
Desi Ghee (Clarified Butter) About 2 cups
Powdered Sugar 1.5 cup
Crushed Jaggery 1.5 cup
Cardamom Powder ½ teaspoon
Almonds /Cashews 20-25 cut into pieces
Milk 2 tablespoon
1. Dry roast grated dry coconut till light brown. Keep it aside.
2. Add 3 tablespoon of Ghee to a Ladle and fry Poha till it puffs. It does not take long for Poha to fry. So be watchful and fry on low flame. A special type of strainer is available for frying Poha. It is called पोहे तळणी in Marathi. If you use that, Poha can be fried easily.
3. Fry dry fruit pieces in the same Ghee and keep it aside.
4. Transfer this Ghee to a thick bottom pan. Add remaining Ghee and Nachani flour. Roast it on low flame till you get nice aroma of roasted flour. Keep stirring all the time; else it will burn. Initially flour will be thick and difficult to roast; after about 10 minutes it will be soft and will become easy to roast. It takes 15-20 minutes to roast.
5. Now remove the pan from gas. Immediately add 2 tablespoon of milk. You will see lot of bubbles. Keep stirring. Now the mixture will be thick.
6. Leave it to cool.
7. Melt Jaggery on low flame and add it to roasted flour. Mix.
8. When mixture is warm, add roasted dry coconut, fried Poha, sugar and mix well. Add Cardamom powder, dry fruits of your choice and mix.
9. When mixture comes to room temperature, roll Laadoos.
10. Sometimes the mixture gets very dry on cooling and it is not possible to roll laadoos. If this happens, heat the mixture a bit and then roll laadoos. If you are still not able to roll laadoos, add some more ghee (1-2 tablespoon at a time) to the mixture and then roll laadoos. Since Nachani flour is not sticky, you may need little more ghee.
Enjoy delicious Nachani laadoos. These laadoos last for 2 weeks without refrigeration.
1. You can add more Ghee if you like.