Aambyache Saandan / Dhondas (आंब्याचं सांदण / धोंडस) – Steamed Sugarfree Mango Cake
This is a specialty from Konkan region in Maharashtra. In North Konkan, it’s called Saandan; in South Konkan, it’s called Dhondas (धोंडस). Mango Pulp is mixed with coarse rice flour along with fresh coconut and jaggery and batter is steamed. It is served with sweet coconut milk or home made ghee (clarified butter). It’s very healthy and tasty sweet. In Konkan, this is served as a part of meal like Puran Poli and not as a sweet dish. It’s an easy recipe. Try it out.
Ingredients (Makes about 40-45 pieces)
Coarse Rice Flour / Idli Rawa 1 cup
Mango Pulp ½ cup
Fresh scraped coconut ½ cup
Crushed Jaggery ½ to ¾ cups (adjust as per taste)
Salt ¼ teaspoon
Cardamom Powder ¼ teaspoon
Saffron 3-4 strands soaked in warm milk
Pure Ghee (Clarified Butter) ½ teaspoon + for greasing
Pure Ghee (Clarified Butter) or Coconut milk mixed with Jaggery, salt and cardamom powder
1. In a pan, heat ½ teaspoon of ghee. Add Idli Rawa and roast it on low flame till it starts changing colour. Do not roast further.
2. Squeeze Mango to make Mango Pulp. Do not add anything to it. Stain it to remove any strings / fibre from the pulp.
3. Grind together fresh scraped coconut and crushed Jaggery just enough to mix it together. Do not make a fine paste.
4. Mix together Idli Rawa, Mango Pulp, coconut + jaggery mixture, salt, cardamom powder and saffron. Make a thick batter with dropping consistency. Add water if required.
5. Keep the mixture covered for 2 hours. Batter will now be thick. Add water to make it of dropping consistency again.
6. Boil water in a steamer. Grease a steaming plate with ghee. Pour the mixture in the greased plate to form about a cm thick layer; tap the plate to make a uniform layer. Steam for 15-20 minutes. Check if the batter is cooked properly by using a knife/ toothpick.
7. Leave the plate to come to room temperature. Cut into pieces of desired size.
8. Serve along with sweet coconut milk and / or pure ghee. It taste yummy.
You can make Saandan using Cucumber or Jackfruit also.