Tavsale / Dhondas (Cucumber Cake)
This is a Goan/ Konkani recipe using cucumber. Generally prepared using dark green cucumber that you get in rainy season. But you can also make this using light green cucumber that are generally available all through the year.
In Konkan this is called Dhondas.
Grated cucumber 2.5 cups
Rava Jada (Semolina Coarse) 1 cup
Fresh scraped Coconut ½ cup
Jaggery crushed 1 cup
Cardamom (Eliachy) Powder ½ teaspoon
Pure Ghee (Clarified Butter) 2 tablespoon
Cashew Nuts chopped 2 tablespoons
Salt ½ teaspoon
1. Peel the cucumber, remove seeds and grate.
note : do not drain the water.
2. Roast rava jada, in a pan with 1 tablespoon ghee, on medium flame, till light brown.
3. Add grated cucumber, jaggery, grated coconut and mix well.
4. Cook the mixture without covering it till jaggery melts, keep stirring.
5. Add chopped cashew nut, salt, cardamom (Eliachi) powder and pure ghee and mix well.
6. Prepare baking dish by applying pure ghee to the sides and bottom.
7. Transfer the mixture into a baking dish (8 to 10 inch diameter), spread evenly 1 inch thick. Apply little ghee on the top to get a nice glaze.
8. Pre-heat the oven at 210 0 C for 10 minutes.
9. Bake at 210 0 C for 35 minutes.
10. Cut into 1 x 1 inch pieces after cooling.
11. Enjoy the mild sweet Tavsale